Thursday, July 7, 2016

"Write about someone who inspires you"

Its might sound like a cliche but my mom inspires me. (Remember that my gransmother on my dad's side adopted me when I was one month old). Ok so when she was growing up they really didn't have much. She said my great grandpa once in a while would gift them 5 cents. She said they didn't wear shoes around the house. They only wore their shoes when they went to school. I say they meaning her and her two other siblings. My mom never finished high school much less college. She left home because she ran away to be with my grandpa at the age of 16, if I recall correctly. She had two kids and then found herself seperated with no skills. My grandpa took the oldest child from her and she was to take care of the other one ( my dad ) with practically no child support. I think she said he gave her like 30 colones a month. El salvador converted to dollars a long time ago but when they still had colones you needed 8 to make one dollar. Since my mom didn't have much education she managed to get jobs working as a maid.After a series of events she had another baby and she also meet someone who ended up being instrumental in our family's well being. As it turns out that she went from being a maid for this lady that had this motel to the owner. The lady told her that she wasn't making ends meet so she would sell her the business. My mom accepted. She had to go through a learning curve but she workerd harder than she ever had before. She learned to save and by the time I was born had done great things. She had six employees.  She had helped her family as in her sister with her kids. She had three houses. She put my oldest brother Henry and his wife through college. She was a pillar of the community. She even adopted a little girl someone left at her hotel. Her life reads like a soap opera. She is really an amazing person. But her strengths don't  end there. In her early forties she decided that since the cival war in El Salvador was too dangerous we had to move to the U.S. We move and start all over- no houses, no cars, no money, she doesn't even speak the language. But she knows how to save and she knows how to clean. As I grew up here in Houston I know we didn't  have much but I also know there were other people that had less than we did. I can't  say I had everything while I was growing up but maybe that was a good thing. Not having it all made me work for what I have today. I have a good job and I have a big house and I have my car and things I need. I been able to travel-one of my dreams was to go to Rome and I got to do that in 2006. My mom inspires me. Her life is testiment of what you can do if you work hard. She is amazing and that's the reason that it makes me happy to make her happy. I want her to be proud of me and know that I am who I am because of her advise, guidance and love. I'm so greatful that God gave me the mom he did but without her I don't know who or what I would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment