Thursday, May 10, 2012

The gift of goodbye ( an except from Every Day A Friday by Joel Osteen)

"A crutch is a temporary tool we use for walking after an injury to a leg or a foot. Once the injury has healed we put the crutch away and walk on our own. The word crutch is also used to describe something or someone we may rely on short term to help us get through a period of challenge. The term takes on a bad connotation though, when used to describe something we've become unnecessarily dependant on usually to the detriment of our physical or emotional progress. A crutch is supposed to be temporary, just until we heal, or until we can get by on our own. It's not supposed to be permanent. Even when a crutch is someone important to us. One of the hardest things to accept is that not everyone is meant to be in our lives forever. Some people are meant to be with our for the long term,of course, your spouse, your children, your sibling, your parents. But then there are those God brings across your path for a season. maybe a mentor, a teacher and guide of some sort to help your through a certain stage of life or a difficult time. If God didn't move the away we would become too dependant, instead of helping us they would hinder us. Their presence might limit our growth. You have to be big enough to recognize when some one's part in your life's story is over. It doesn't mean the person is bad, you can still be friends. You can still love and respect each other but you must accept that everything changes. To move forward You have to let go. Just as God super naturally brings people into our lives He will supernaturally move people out. When a person walks away and you think you can't live without them, that's God saying its time for you to go to a new level. You don't need someone to constantly think for you, drive for you, believe in you and encourage you, you can do that for yourself. If you are to keep growing eliminate dependencies on crutches. Don't try to talk people into loving you. Don't try to persuade them to stay beyond their usefulness , let them go. Your destiny in not tied to your mentors. His or her leaving will launch you ahead it's not a step back, it's a step up. When someone walks away it's not an accident, God will open up new doors you will discover greater strength and new talents. God maybe preparing to bring in even someone better for the future. When my mentor from television broadcast left I had a choice I could either mope around in self pity or move toward my destiny. I came to realize there is something called the gift of goodbye. You may not realize if at first but losing your crutch is a gift from God. I saw this principle in action during my fathers ministry. Whenever someone announced he or she was leaving the congregation they expected my father to be down and discouraged that they were leaving, so that person was often shocked when he seemed happy at their departure. He never tried to talked them into staying or to convince them they were making a mistake. My father was always very gracious. He always thanked them, prayed over them and then he walked them to the door. He didn't say it but I know what he was thinking, the sooner you go the better for both of us. You want people in your life who are supposed to be there. When God wants them present in your life they don't find fault in everything you do. You don't have to manipulate them to stay. That's what I love about members of Lakewood there's so many I can't know most of them by name. I can't call them personally but I know they don't come to church because they need me, they come because God lead them to our church. They don't need me to touch them, they need God to touch them. When God sends people your way you don't have to play up to them and do everything perfectly to keep them happy. You don't have to walk on eggshells trying not to offend them. You don't need friends who are hard to please. If someone tries to manipulate you like that let it go and walk away. You don't need anyone else to fulfill your destiny. I love this scripture, they went our from us because they we not of us, for if they had been of us they would of continued with us. When people leave your life they are no longer a part of your destiny. Their time is over. If you stay open God will give you people who are not just with you but for you. There is a big difference. When your only with me you're there as long as I perform perfectly, as long as I give you everything you need, as long as I don't make mistakes. But when your not just with me, but your for me you believe the best in me you don't try to control me, you give me room to make mistakes, you don't need my attention all the time, you give more to the relationship than you take away. That's the kind of people God wants to bring in to your life. You don't have try to make this happen. Just be your best each day and God will bring you Divine connections. And then when they season for that relationship is over, you don't have to be upset. You can let the other person leave with your blessing continuing to love and respect him or her. I've learned this God will always bring the right people into your life but you have to let the wrong people walk away. The right people will never show up if you don't clear out the wrong people."



Can't sleep...thought I would share this priceless advice!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment