Friday, April 8, 2011

How do people do it for 40-50 years?

When I wake up every morning I think " Oh, God give me strength". Lately I have been in this rut where I don't hardly want to do anything. And I just do what I have to do that day and not much else. I've been "reading" this book lately, it's called "The Four Hour Work Week". I forget who it's by, but anyways the guy, I have to say makes a damn good argument. He tales about him self and what made him be the person he is and have the thoughts that he has about life, basically. His theory is that the "American Dream" is a crappy idea. Most of us know that to be we work for 40-50 years and then when we retire we get to do what we want. Well, he says that whole idea is flawed from the begging. Why? you ask... well if and when we retire, who's to say you are healthy enough to be go and travel or do what you want to do by the time you are 70 years old? and who is to say that by the time you are 70 you will have enough money to do all the things you want to do. If inflation is eating up your 401k money along with all the other market crashes there are now a days. So his philosophy on life is to take sabbaticals from it. Like take vacations when and where you want, when and where you want. Take a month off to do whatever. You know, that kind of thing. He started an internet business that could be run remotely from his computer from anywhere on earth. Another great point I read in his book which I did know but I didn't really put it together as well as he, he states that here in America very few American's live well on 40k per year. But if you were to  have those same 40k a year in another place in the world you could defiantly live about average there. Which is so true if you think about all the people you know what do they talk about? As for me, the people I know always are talking about buying a new car or a new house or some expensive thing...but if we are buying all this stuff what are we giving up for the stuff? Time. How long does it take to pay off a house or a car? wouldn't you much rather be sitting on the a tropical beach somewhere instead of at working to pay something off? I LOVE this book. Now all I have to do is find a business I can run remotely from pc...that way I can quite my job and become the world traveler I have always wanted to be. Well till then, I'll be open to new business ideas...lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment